The Orphanarium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anse's Wishlist for Tanking Gear up to SSC/TK

2 posters

Go down

Anse's Wishlist for Tanking Gear up to SSC/TK Empty Anse's Wishlist for Tanking Gear up to SSC/TK

Post  Anse Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:40 pm

Currently updated through SSC/TK/ZA
Items are listed within their category from best to worst (top to bottom)

Helm
Battleworn Tuskguard - Hex Lord Malacrass, Zulaman
Crystalforge Faceguard - Lady Vashj, Serpentshrine Cavern

Neck
The Darkener's Grasp - Kael'thas Sunstrider, Tempest Keep
Frayed Tether of the Drowned - Fathom-Lord Karathress, Serpentshrine Cavern
(sort of) Barbed Choker of Discipline - Maiden of Virtue, Karazhan

Shoulders
Crystalforge Shoulderguards - Void Reaver, Tempest Keep

Cloak

Chest

Wrist

Gloves
Royal Gauntlets of Silvermoon - Kaelthas Funstrider, Tempest Keep
Crystalforge Handguards - Leotheras the Blind, Serpentshrine Cavern
Iron Gauntlets of the Maiden - Maiden of Virtue, Karazhan

Waist
Girdle of the Protector - 60 Badge of Justice

Legs

Feet
Sabatons of the Righteous Defender - 60 Badge of Justice
Jungle Stompers - Nalorakk, Zul'Aman
Battlescar Boots - Chess Event, Karazhan
Boots of Elusion - Karazhan Trash

Ring
Ring of the Stalwart Protector - 60 Badges of Justice
Ring of Sundered Souls - Morogrim Tidewalker, Serpentshrine Cavern
Signet of the Last Defender - Kraz's Package, Zul'aman

Mainhand
Fang of the Leviathan - Leotheras the Blind, Serpentshrine Cavern
Amani Punisher - Akil'Zon, Zul'aman
Gladiator's Gavel - 25,200 Honor Points & 20 EotS marks

Shield
Aldori Legacy Defender - Gruul the Dragonkiller, Gruul's Lair
Bulwark of the Amani Empire - Jan'alai, Zul'aman

Libram
Libram of Divine Purpose - 20 Badge of Justice

Trinket
Darkmoon Card: Vengeance - Ace-Eight of Furies
Scarab of Displacement - Hydross the Unstable, Serpentshrine Cavern
Tome of Fiery Redemption - Al'ar, Tempest Keep
Tiny Voodoo Mask - Hex Lord, Zul'aman
Figurine of the Colossus – Warchief Kargath Bladefist, Heroic Shattered Halls

Last edited by Anse on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:35 pm; edited 9 times in total
Anse
Anse

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://www.galaxyriot.com

Back to top Go down

Anse's Wishlist for Tanking Gear up to SSC/TK Empty In re chest piece

Post  Opeili Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:02 am

Shattrath Protectorate's Breastplate (100 BoJ) v. Chestguard of the Stoic Guardian (75 BoJ). My choice would be the SPB because you need to hold aggro. Spell hit and spell damage in such large numbers are rare on pally tank pieces. You need to keep up with the dps or you are useless. Dodge can be easily made up with other pieces and gems. It's very difficult to evaluate one piece by itself because you never wear just one piece of gear. It has to be viewed in light of the entire ensemble. If you want to beef up your dodge rating, I'd suggest you get the Inscribed Legplates of the Aldor (100 BoJ) first. Tanks have two responsibilities: 1) get aggro and hold aggro 2) survive damage.

Chest:
In my calculations, I used a +4 def rtg and +6 stam gem because the piece already has an insane amount of stam. The difference in stats over your current piece would be:
+617 armor
+39 stam
-1 def rtg
+2 dodge rtg
-30 hit rtg
+34 spell hit rtg
+60 spell dam

Pants:
I used a +8 dodge rtg and +8 def rtg gem for the same reason.
+423 armor
+13 stam
+7 def rtg
+32 dodge rtg
+37 spell dam
-6 bv shield

My recommendations for focus pieces are:
Head - T4 Justicar from Prince (Kara)
Hands - T4 Justicar from Curator (Kara)
Waist - Girdle of Protection (60 BoJ)
Legs - Inscribed Legplates of the Aldor (100 BoJ)
Feet - Sabatons of the Righteous Defender (60 BoJ)

From the healer's perspective: don't neglect defense and dodge in favor of stamina gems unless you really need more health. Focus on quality health. It's easier to heal you. Smile

Opeili

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Anse's Wishlist for Tanking Gear up to SSC/TK Empty Re: Anse's Wishlist for Tanking Gear up to SSC/TK

Post  Anse Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:10 am

First, thanks for doing all this work to try and help me sort out what to buy Smile I did a bit of research on my own because, like you, I'm a number cruncher who loves to theorycraft until I can't sleep at night (its makes car rides by myself a lot more interesting too Wink

Despite what you'd think, Spell Hit actually does very little for a Protection Paladin, most of the Paladin's tanking abilities have been altered by Blizzard so that they are affected by +hit instead of Spell hit or don't get resisted at all (Avenger's Shield, Consecration ticks, Righteous Defense, Seal of Righteousness swings, etc.). From what I researched, only Judgement, Holy Shield, and the first tick of Consecrate is affected by Spell hit. Losing 10% of that threat (maybe 2-3% overall threat at the VERY most on boss fights) is really not a big loss in my overall threat and to make up that 2-3% would take over 200 Spell Hit). And if I'm looking to increase threat, Spell Hit is actually the worst stat (based on itemization values) to do so. Expertise is best, and Spell Damage and Melee Hit are all more valuable for threat than Spell Hit.

Every list I've seen for Paladin Tank gear lists Shattrath Protectorate near the bottom of epic chests (if on the list at all), with the Stoicism chests around 3rd.

On those chest pieces it basically comes down to 25 spell damage versus 2% dodge and I think I'd side with 2% dodge.
12 STA, 4 Defense, 25 Spell Damage, 34 Spell Hit
Red Socket, Yellow Socket, 38 Dodge (2%)

Regarding Stamina, Orphan asked me to get my health up for ZA, so that's what I was keeping in mind when looking at upgrades.

Also, for your calculations, I will always farm to get the epic gems for my gear. It's my philosphy that if the guild and all my friends in it are working hard to progress and entrusting it's gear to me, I'm going to make sure I'm doing everything in my power to make that gear the absolute best it can to help the guild. So that means it will probably be 1 +18 stamina gem and +15 stamina gems in the rest(Blue), 1 +12 Defense gem and +10 Defense gems in the rest(Yellow), and +10 Dodge Gems (Red)

I really like your focus list at the bottom, and I totally agree with it. I was thinking I would upgrade my Chest first since there's really no other upgrades for it (unlike legs which I could potentially get lucky and get the Curator legs soon). Either way I need to get the other 2 badge pieces asap Smile We need more heroic farming days! Thanks again for helping me sort out all this gear stuff. It really helps to have someone else to talk things through with. I learned a lot of new things about Paladin tanking just working out this reply to you.

and just for fun because i just noticed this on the side: lol!
Anse
Anse

Back to top Go down

Anse's Wishlist for Tanking Gear up to SSC/TK Empty Updated List

Post  Anse Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:05 pm

I updated the list since I've gotten a lot of new gear recently Smile In less than a week we've knocked out a good portion of this list!

215 badges to go, 3 Drops, and 2k gold for the Furies Deck. We're getting close Smile I'm up to 15.7k health with Fort and Kings (probably about 16.6k fully raid buffed)
Anse
Anse

Back to top Go down

Anse's Wishlist for Tanking Gear up to SSC/TK Empty Re: Anse's Wishlist for Tanking Gear up to SSC/TK

Post  Guest Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:56 pm

can we cross anythign off???

Back to top Go down

Post  Anse Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:41 pm

I crossed off the leggings since I bought them, but other than that I haven't gotten any of the other gear. The Bold is the gear I need to get still. I only need the Six of Furies then I'll have that trinket taken care of.
Anse
Anse

Back to top Go down

Post  Anse Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:55 am

I bought Badge Wrist and Cloak today. I also removed all gear I've acquired instead of just italicizing. I've updated the list with wish list for ZA/SSC/TK as well Smile Some of the spots there simply aren't upgrades until BT/Hyjal/Sunwell
Anse
Anse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down